Monday, August 14, 2017


While preparing for a game yesterday I stumbled upon some old notes I made to extend the dungeon beneath Zenopus's tower. And since the Zenopus Archives have recently been putting up some neat stuff related to the Holmes sample dungeon, I thought maybe people would be interested.

Many years ago I was really into the Kua-Toa, but apparently didn't know how to spell "Kua-Toa." This little subfloor is a shrine to Blibdoolpoolp, where human cultist and Kua-Toa work together to capture and eat humans and do weird fish-man interbreeding stuff.

There is a room with a well with magic water.
There is a room where humans are butchered.
There is a room where butchered human meat is stored "Ice Room"
The first room you enter has a "statue of a fish swallowing a "naked babe"
The altar room has clues on how to open the secret door: "Say fish prayer and kiss fish statue"
I think I intended for the room with the statue of Blibdoolpoolp to be filled with treasure. I never got around to writing any down. I think somewhere there was an encounter table with Kua-Toa(or probably Koa-Toa(sic) and smuggler cultists and fish-man abominations).

When you think of any sort of monster human hybrid, I think the general assumption is that the monster human hybrid is the product of rape. That was not what I was going for here. The general vibe was supposed to be that the party had stumbled upon the lair of a bunch of guys who really like fish, like "like like" them. I think H.P Lovecraft did the same thing in the Shadow over Innsmouth. I am not about to unpack Shadow over Innsmouth or the way sex/reproduction is portrayed in  Lovecraft's writings right now.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this is awesome stuff! Fits right in with the spirit of Holmes gaming in my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Dungeon Meshi for Dungeons and Dragons: Ape to Bear

 I was talking to a friend on twitter. This is my one internet friend I have who I met in person at a con. He wanted a supplement based on s...