Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Pics and House Rules from an Old Holmes Campaign


The old campaign started in Salt Marsh, Port Town's trading partner.
Pictured above is one of the clans that ruled my version of Salt Marsh.
You can see I am staying true to the art style of the original booklets.

I was running an old Holmes campaign where although survivability was low, some characters began to level up. I was keeping the rule that all weapons do 1d6 dmg. As the players grew more comfortable with the rules I decided to Tinker. I wanted to give fighters a special class ability so I gave them a rudimentary weapon mastery ability. It does subvert the Holmes rule that all weapons do the same damage, but I thought it kept the spirit of it enough while doing something to make fighters special and provide a mechanical reason to use different weapons in different situations.


FIGHTER WEAPON SKILL PROGRESSION

Daggers: do 1d4 dmg
levels 1-3: one attack per round
levels 4-6: two attack per round
levels 7-9: three attacks per round

Swords
levels 1-3: 1d8 dmg
levels 4-6: 1d10 dmg
levels 7-9: 1d12 dmg

Mace
levels 1-3: successful hit raises (makes worse) metal armor's by 1
levels 4-6: successful hit raises (makes worse) metal armor's by 2
levels 7-9: successful hit raises (makes worse) metal armor's by 3
This set of rule also worked on armored monsters like giant ants etc.

A member of another ruling clan of Salt Marsh.
Each clan had their own funny outfits.

The fighters in the group liked it. Everyone thought it was kind of cool but I am not sure if it made the game more fun to the extent that it justified the added complexity. I think maybe a different group of players would have gotten more mileage out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dungeon Meshi for Dungeons and Dragons: Ape to Bear

 I was talking to a friend on twitter. This is my one internet friend I have who I met in person at a con. He wanted a supplement based on s...