Friday, June 5, 2020

Monks!



I just finished painting my Sohei Monks for Test of Honour. This project was a minor milestone for my painting. You can tell by looking at the eyes on their leader as compared to his fellow monks. I loved working with the orange color.

I have a lot to work on for the future too. I gotta keep plugging away at those eyes. Thinner coats for whites and more control of the viscosity of the paint when I am doing faces. Better pinwashing technique, the list goes on and on.

I also have a lot more to learn about photography. I have really failed to catch the contrast between the bronze and the very dark blue/black on Hozoin In'ei's armor (That's the leader up front).

These were mostly a blast to paint. Hozoin's right arm had a big gap that needed filling (something else I need to improve on) My least favorite dude is hiding in the first picture. So let's look at the second picture.


 Here we can see him upfront on the right. Painting his blue armor didn't spark joy for some reason and his feet were unsatisfying to paint too.


His grumpy face is kind of cool though. You can also see how I am experimenting with eyes here. This guy I focused on pupils and in some of the others I focused on the whites of the eyes. I need to get some guys with exaggerated eyes to work on. I think my leack of enthusiasm for his breast plate is apparent in this photo.

 Here we see just the whites painted. It reads ok on the table but isn't great for taking pictures. You can also really see where I can improve on shading white by looking at Hozoin's muscular calves.  And I just noticed I knocked the roof into a bad position on my little house. Oh well.

4 comments:

  1. These monks look sick. The first thing I want to do coming out of quarantine is to play Test of Honour with these guys. As a newcomer to painting minis, the struggle of painting eyes insights great fear. An otherwise respectable paint job can be completely overshadowed by poorly executed eyes. This often leaves my characters blind, left for another day with a truer hand that is less caffeinated.

    ReplyDelete

Dungeon Meshi for Dungeons and Dragons: Ape to Bear

 I was talking to a friend on twitter. This is my one internet friend I have who I met in person at a con. He wanted a supplement based on s...