Monday, April 6, 2020

Quarantine Miniatures

 Back in 1990 I inherited some miniatures from my uncle (Heritage Miniatures appropriately.) They have sat unpainted for decades. I finally got around to painting them while quarantined.
Here is an overview.


Here is a closeup. The lantern is my first attempt at scratchbuilding
It's a little rough but so is the whole sculpt. I rate it a 'meh' for a first effort.
The hand holding the lantern is from a different kit.

Lantern boy all alone. Maybe this picture is a little too dark.
Sorry

Here we see Barry the Bagman. My favorite mini of the group

I like him even more than the wizard with the owl-like thing background of his picture.


Here you can see my first attempt at object source lighting on the torch boy.
His face was so miscast I figured the best thing to do would be to have it in shadow

so I could paint the part that was featureless lead blob pure black. If this cast hadn't been such a mess I never would have attempted the OSL.

Here is the shield. I tried to get a nice blend going

The druid in the middle of the back row was so misaligned I had to sculpt half of the back of his head. So here is a look at the resculpted head.

4 comments:

  1. I love the old style miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I developed a real love/hate relationship with them over the past month. The casting errors and lack of detail can be frustrating, but they have a ton of character and they look more desperate than heroic a lot of the time, which is great.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, both on the outcome and on preserving your uncle's legacy. David Sutherland's adventurer's also have that desperate look.

    ReplyDelete

Dungeon Meshi for Dungeons and Dragons: Ape to Bear

 I was talking to a friend on twitter. This is my one internet friend I have who I met in person at a con. He wanted a supplement based on s...